Change & Stress Counseling for Children and Teens
Stephanie Legendre, LPC-S, Registered Play Therapist
Life transitions, whether big or small, can be overwhelming for young minds. Our goal is to provide a safe and supportive space where children and teens can explore and cope with changes while building resilience to manage stress effectively.
Understanding Change and Stress:
Change is an inevitable part of life, and stress is a natural response. For children and teens, transitions such as moving, family dynamics, school changes, or personal challenges can induce stress. Our therapeutic approach acknowledges these struggles, working to understand and address the emotional impact of change on their well-being.
Our Therapeutic Services:
- Individual Counseling: Personalized one-on-one sessions create a confidential space for children and teens to express their thoughts and emotions. I employ evidence-based techniques to help them process change, manage stress, and develop coping mechanisms.
- Creative Arts and Play Therapy: Engaging in creative expression through art, play, or music provides alternative avenues for children and teens to communicate and process their feelings surrounding change. Creative arts and play therapy fosters self-discovery and emotional regulation.
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT): CBT helps children and teens identify and reframe negative thought patterns associated with change and stress. Through goal-oriented counseling, they learn practical strategies to cope with stressors and navigate challenging situations.
- Mindfulness and Relaxation Techniques: Teaching mindfulness and relaxation techniques empowers children and teens with valuable tools for managing stress. Mindful practices enhance emotional awareness, focus, and resilience in the face of change.
- Family Counseling/Parenting: Recognizing that change affects the entire family, my therapy extends to helping families from parent coaching to sibling sessions. Parent coaching and family counseling sessions can help parents support their child or teen through stressful situations, helping everyone adapt and thrive through transitions.